Skip to main content

Review : Artist's Loft Oil Pastels


Ha! I had to start over, one eye was drifting away. 


I am a huge fan of Artist's Loft's watercolors pan set and pearlescent pan set. I bought them for $4.99 each and thoroughly satisfied. So I thought I'd give their oil pastels a go. I was not impressed. They did not blend at all. They might be good if you take an exacto knife to them to get a good point and use to highlight a piece, but their consistency & texture is worse than crayons. I should have heated them up a bit above a candle, but instead I smoothed part of the picture with baby oil and that kind of improved it. I had to be careful, parts did not smooth over, but instead rubbed off and became crumbly.

These cheap oil pastels are not even worth practicing with because they'll just discourage beginners from ever using oil pastels again. For a beginner, try Crayola or Cray-pas brands.

When it comes to oil pastels nothing is better than Sennelier's Oil Pastels. I own just two colors and they are the most amazing things I own, right up there with designer sneakers or indulging in the best made macaron cookies.

Oil Pastel on cardboard smoothed with baby oil


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Art Supply Review: 6 Gouache Brands Comparison

  Gouache Paint Review Gouache is the same as watercolor because it is a water-based paint, except it is not transparent, it is opaque. Watercolor and gouache can be used together. Gouache should dry to a velvety matte finish. It can sometimes look creamy and chalky. Gouache could appear like an acrylic paint, but it reactivates when you add water to a finished piece like watercolor. Acrylic paint does not reactivate, it dries to a strong plastic-like finish. Gouache is often used in watercolor paintings as a highlight, or to fix a mistake, or an alternative to masking.  Gouache Brands Links: Lukas Studio Gouache Savior Faire Gouache Holbein Irodori Artist Gouache Winsor & Newton Designers Gouache Artist's Loft Jelly Gouache Arteza Paint Tubs (Jelly Gouache) How I will judge the gouache I am testing? 1. Do they offer the usual basics like Blue, Red, & Yellow? Or modern color theory options like Magenta, Yellow, & Cyan? 2. How do they swatch? I am looking for opaci...

12 Ink Drawings at Greta's Coffee & Kitchen Cafe

Amber Art's Sketchbook Tour My Ink Drawings at Greta's Coffee & Kitchen Cafe August 2023 Linktree 1. Title: Prometheus  (2022) Medium: Ink on Paper Size: 4x6 Price: $75.00 Instagram Reel Link   Inspiration: Despite what you see, she is in not inspired by Lycia Naff, the 3-breasted mutant in Total Recall. The beautiful artist, Mab Graves every October has a 30-Day Halloween Project called, Drawlloween. On Day 21 in 2022 was the FrankenFriday prompt. I used the music from Young Frankenstein in my Instagram Reel, because that is one of my favorite childhood movies. I love Georges Braque, he is the original creator of cubism, and this drawing was inspired by his painting, "Man with a Guitar." I love to listen to music while I make art. 2. Title : All is Full of Love (2023) Size : 5x5 Medium : ink on paper Price : $100   Instagram Reel Link   Inspiration :   The image of a woman in nature while hooked up to wires… Online dating is disappointing. Ha! The ...

Practice Makes Perfect

I tried to incorporate my line drawing on a wood tile. It was very difficult getting it to do what I wanted because it was laminated. I look forward to practicing more with the Creative Versa-Tool I got at Michaels'. The wood tile I got at Home Depot for free or for like 30 cents in 2010. I had planned to paint on it, but never got around to it. I wondered if my etching tool would work better? Not really what I was hoping for. A friend of mine said that I should leave all my practice pieces around my neighborhood and NYC with my website and social media links. Kind of a "found art" business card. I think that is brilliant. What are your thoughts? Dandelion by Amber D'Amato Years ago I had a roommate that was a professional classical musician, he played various horns. We were watching a documentary on music conservatory students on tv. All the students waxed poetic about the meaning of music in their lives and how magical it was.  He turned to me and ...