Skip to main content

Thoughts on Art Products from Viviva Colors


Viviva Colorsheets: 





Viviva Sketchbook
I have their spiral bound sketchbook that they don't sell anymore. Here's a similar one:


&

Viviva Easy Sketch Parallax Mirror

They no longer sell it. You can probably buy one somewhere else online. Viviva still has literature on their parallax mirror:




I should have waved when my hands were reflected. 😅



1. The colors are dye-based. They act more like an ink than a watercolor.

2. One square of color is supposed to be equivalent to a half pan. Although! In the metallic booklet, after two uses I was almost finished with the gold. 

3. The colorsheets are the perfect size for traveling. Please anticipate stains on your paper, clothes, skin, brushes, table, etc. Your fingers will be stained for at least 2 days no matter how hard you scrub. 

4. Viviva Colors are beautifully vivid and highly pigmented.

5. The wet on wet blooms are small but so cool looking. A light but small swipe of color is extremely concentrated. I suggest diluting it in a palette if you want more of a watercolor effect than an inky appearance. 

6. The "watercolors" do not lift off the paper much like Derwent's Inktense product line. If you use Yupo paper you will definitely have the option to lift because the colors lay on top of the paper and do not soak in.

7. They are better than student quality watercolors because they are so highly pigmented, but not quite professional artist grade.

8. Viviva Colorsheets are affordable, $20.00 a pack on their website. $21.00 a pack on Blick's website.



Viviva Sketchbook


If you use too much water the paper will come apart like mixed media paper. 

I suggest using the colors on Yupo paper, it will give interesting effects. And of course cotton watercolor paper is a great choice as well.


Viviva Easy-Sketch Parallax Mirror

This was interesting, but uncomfortable to use. Definitely a fun novelty item. I rather draw from sight or imagination. If you are learning how to draw I suggest using the grid method: 

1. Use a clear sheet of plastic paper and draw a grid on it, then place it over a painting or drawing you want to recreate. 

2. On the paper you plan to draw on, draw a grid as well, of equal ratio to the clear sheet.  
This will teach you to focus on shapes instead of features you are familiar with. You will get more accuracy that way. 

Another great way to learn how to draw is to look at a photo upside down. You will focus on shapes and your lines will be looser and closer to the original than you would have experienced it right side up.


If you want to see videos on all of these points I made, I have a PowerPoint Presentation type of video for you to watch. It is only 1 minute and 52 seconds. 😉

YouTube: Viviva Art Supply Review & Speed Painting Video


Have a Lovely Day! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Art Supply Review: 6 Gouache Brands Comparison

  Gouache Paint Review Gouache is the same as watercolor because it is a water-based paint, except it is not transparent, it is opaque. Watercolor and gouache can be used together. Gouache should dry to a velvety matte finish. It can sometimes look creamy and chalky. Gouache could appear like an acrylic paint, but it reactivates when you add water to a finished piece like watercolor. Acrylic paint does not reactivate, it dries to a strong plastic-like finish. Gouache is often used in watercolor paintings as a highlight, or to fix a mistake, or an alternative to masking.  Gouache Brands Links: Lukas Studio Gouache Savior Faire Gouache Holbein Irodori Artist Gouache Winsor & Newton Designers Gouache Artist's Loft Jelly Gouache Arteza Paint Tubs (Jelly Gouache) How I will judge the gouache I am testing? 1. Do they offer the usual basics like Blue, Red, & Yellow? Or modern color theory options like Magenta, Yellow, & Cyan? 2. How do they swatch? I am looking for opaci...

Practice Makes Perfect

I tried to incorporate my line drawing on a wood tile. It was very difficult getting it to do what I wanted because it was laminated. I look forward to practicing more with the Creative Versa-Tool I got at Michaels'. The wood tile I got at Home Depot for free or for like 30 cents in 2010. I had planned to paint on it, but never got around to it. I wondered if my etching tool would work better? Not really what I was hoping for. A friend of mine said that I should leave all my practice pieces around my neighborhood and NYC with my website and social media links. Kind of a "found art" business card. I think that is brilliant. What are your thoughts? Dandelion by Amber D'Amato Years ago I had a roommate that was a professional classical musician, he played various horns. We were watching a documentary on music conservatory students on tv. All the students waxed poetic about the meaning of music in their lives and how magical it was.  He turned to me and ...

12 Ink Drawings at Greta's Coffee & Kitchen Cafe

Amber Art's Sketchbook Tour My Ink Drawings at Greta's Coffee & Kitchen Cafe August 2023 Linktree 1. Title: Prometheus  (2022) Medium: Ink on Paper Size: 4x6 Price: $75.00 Instagram Reel Link   Inspiration: Despite what you see, she is in not inspired by Lycia Naff, the 3-breasted mutant in Total Recall. The beautiful artist, Mab Graves every October has a 30-Day Halloween Project called, Drawlloween. On Day 21 in 2022 was the FrankenFriday prompt. I used the music from Young Frankenstein in my Instagram Reel, because that is one of my favorite childhood movies. I love Georges Braque, he is the original creator of cubism, and this drawing was inspired by his painting, "Man with a Guitar." I love to listen to music while I make art. 2. Title : All is Full of Love (2023) Size : 5x5 Medium : ink on paper Price : $100   Instagram Reel Link   Inspiration :   The image of a woman in nature while hooked up to wires… Online dating is disappointing. Ha! The ...